Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Welcome to my blog!!

This blog will be a place for me to talk about things I'm interested in, as well as to stay connected to fammily and friends. I can't make any promises as to how often I will update it, but since I am online when I feed the Zach Man that will probably be when I do.
Today I have been obsessing over the fact that when my favorite cloth diapers are dirty or being washed, the cloth diapering tends to fall by the wayside, resulting in money being wasted on disposables that are *supposed* to be for night time only (Not to mention additional landfil chemical implications of using 'sposies as they're often called). Sooooo, I have decided the answer is that I am in desperate need of more than 8 cloth diapers that I actually can use. One of te main problems I'm having now with the prefolds (flat diapers) and covers is that Zach has decided he hates diaper changes and therefore screams and squirms the whole time. This has started what Elliot and I refer to as "Olympic speed diapering" wherein Elliot or I try to find the quickest and least messy way to change a flailing screaming 6.5 month old. Smeared poo and diaper leakage is a penalty.
In all seriousness, I am in desperate need of more all in one diapers. The real problem comes from the fact that we have one seriously chunky monkey with odd proportions on our hands. Z's waist is semi-normal sized, but he has thighs that would put an elephant to shame. The "one size" diapers that supposedly adjust from 8-35 lb babies are tight around his thighs on the loosest setting with plenty of room in the waist on the med. setting. After some research I discovered that the bumgenius brand has this problem a lot. The diapers that are recommended for big thighed babies are happy heiny, smartipants, and thirsties.
http://www.happyheinys.com/one_size_diapers_snaps.php
The best part is they are super cute with all kinds of neat prints, they don't require a cover, AND they have snaps instead of velcro so they won't get tangled up in the washer/dryer. The downside is they are about $18 each. I have been keeping an eye out for some used on craigslist and a wonderful site called diaperswappers.com.
My next obsession of the day is called a Mei Tai (pronounced May Tie). It is a type of asian inspired fabric baby carrier. Because Zach is getting so heavy (22.5 lbs!) going a long time wearing him in the sling is beginning to put a strain on the shoulder I always carry him on, and my lower back from the uneven distribution of weight. So, I have decided to get a Mei Tai as soon as our budget permits, because babywearing has saved my life (okay, actually my sanity). If I had to stop wearing Zach in the sling today I would probably cry. It is how I get anything done, and he is in a state of "Quiet alertness" according to the advocates or babywearing, that is the most conducive to learning about the world around him. As soon as I can figure out how to upload pictures, I'll post one of a Mei Tai, but for now, here is a link to a super cute one for sale on Etsy. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=36162562&ref=sr_gallery_17&&ga_search_query=mei+tai&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title
I think I'll have to custom order one so that I can get longer straps for my roman godess-like proportions.
Other highlights of the day include finishing yet another baby hat, gathering donatable itemsfrom our garage for a needy family that Elliot's department at work has "adopted" for the holidays, calling the fire department to report firecrackers being set off in the alley behind our house which scared the begeezes out of our dog, and forgetting to eat anything so far today. I also gave the baby a bath with his new locally made, organic goatsmilk soap for the first time today. He tried to eat it. As I lay here on the bed next to a napping baby and a napping Evie (dog) all I can think about is how I forgot to eat and the kitchen is so far away....*sigh*. I will update as more rambling thoughts occur!

1 comment:

  1. Regan,
    I am very impressed with your use of cloth diappers, I don't see many people using them these days,it also seems you aren't using a diaper service, which is really impressive! Way to go
    Cathleen

    ReplyDelete